27 December 2009

Observations about Christians

As me and my sister walked around our neighborhood and solved the problems of the world, I thought about some of the dysfunction in the Christian body.

The area I have been struggling with/thinking about is the double standards that Christians have. Sometimes it is easier to hang around non-Christians then Christians because you know where the non believers stand but Christians shift around. Why this is the case?

Well I am still thinking about it but this is an issue I have been really thinking about over the past couple of days. Why we as believers give people so many rules but us so often forget to tell them why we have the rules or what is their purpose.

Also this occurred to me this morning. There is a generational gap between the older generation of Christians giving us the rules and between the young people who want to know why. This generation has grown up in a virtual world: friends, entertainment, shopping, everything. There is so little that is concrete for this generation. For our parents it was cut and dry you do or don't, you have or have not. This generation, our generation is tired (this might be just me) of all the religions B.S. (also a large topic in the book "Faith of the American Soldier" by Steven Mansfield).
(I will look at this for me) I am so tired of all the religious jargon I have been fed for so many years. I can walk the walk and talk the talk but living the life is a different thing and one does not always lead to the other.

The image of perfection (or so we think) is something that the church has worked on for years and sometimes it is just that. Just an image. There is no substance in it. I am tired of looking like someone who follows all the rules and is an example of a Christian man and I want to be that person. By the grace of God I am discovering this in my life. He is helping me to discover that the man I want to be is there, I have just been holding him captive, not letting him out.

Well I got off topic but as a friend of mine said about their blog "for me it is sort of like word barfing my thoughts." I started on a topic but my thoughts started to go in a different direction. That is how it is.

You all have a great night.

Always yours,
Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment