12 August 2010

LEADERSHIP

West Point….a name, a school, a military instillation, a hunk of rock on the edge of a river? What is it? Why it is where it is and what is its purpose?

Over my summer a lot about me changed and I started to see the world through much clearer lenses and I came to the realization that the purpose….my purpose is to teach. My purpose is to lead.

The point of West Point is to develop leaders of character. Who are able to go out and make the decision and be the men and woman that this army, this nation, this world needs.

This is a very cliché answer. But that is the point it is THE ANSWER. A leader of character is rare and a highly valued commodity. It is like a prized fighter, there did not just appear out of thin air they had to train. That fighter had to buffet their body into submit ion to become what they wanted it to be. It takes years of training, learning, and self examination. The same is true with true leaders of character.

I am back at West Point and right now I would sacrifice everything thing I have to be a David Penskar for even one person.

David Penskar was part of the class of 2009. He was my squad leader plebe year and I respect him more than any other leader I have ever met. He was professional, he was knowledgeable, most importantly he was an example. In every aspect of his life he was an example of what type of leader he wanted us to be. Now one year after he has graduated and two years after he was my squad leader I still think about my interactions with him. two of my most memorable time with him were one day when drill was canceled for rain and I had run to him room to get out of the rain and he asked me if I wanted to go on a “rain run.” we went out and ran down the rail road tracks, I do not remember how long it was but I do remember that it was one of the best runs I have ever been on ever. I do not remember specifics but I remember that we talked about his philosophy of leadership, my ideas for leadership and we just dialoged about who we were. The other time was at the end of the semester. He was leaving before grad week and wanted to talk to us all before he left. He took us to the Supe’s box once it was dark. We all sat down and he told us to “look at all the lights,” because behind every one of them was someone else who was learning to be leader. We had to continue to improve and learn to be the best leaders we could be. He told us how proud of us he was. That was probably the most memorable moment of my plebe year.

A man who I engaged with upwards of two years about is still making an impact on my. That is a leader. that is the leaders I want to be, someone who is able to inspire people to be their best and to instill in them a deep desire to be the best that we could be, to never never stop reaching for our best.

That is what I want to be for those around me…………….

No comments:

Post a Comment